Still in McMurdo

December 29, 2008

Dec 30

Flight delays due to bad weather are common. The SAFAIR L-100 that we were supposed to fly in has not left Christchurch yet due to bad weather. It is expected to leave Christchurch at 12:00 p.m. This means that it will get here around 8:00 p.m. So we might  leave early next morning. If the L-100 does not arrive,  a smaller plane will leave with some of the people. Some people have been put on the bump list, including Chris and Kristof. This means that if the smaller plane flies, they will not get a seat.

Update: The L-100 has been cancelled. The smaller plane, Hercules, is expected to leave tomorrow morning. This means that Chris and Kristof will get bumped off, and will probably fly out on the next flight on Friday.

Last day in Antarctica

December 29, 2008

Chris, Kristof and I fly out to Christchurch tomorrow. We returned our sleep kits and other gear to BFC and have to drop off our bags tonight. Bill and Vickie will fly out on Jan 2.

We reached McMurdo at around 10:30 p.m. on the 26th (Friday). We had worked very long hours for the past 4 weeks and everyone was exhausted. It was strange to suddenly see so many people and great to have access to things that we usually take for granted in our industrialized world – running hot water, hot shower, clean clothes, fresh vegetables and fruits.

We took Saturday off and I managed to sleep for 12 hours straight on Saturday night.  We sorted through our lab stuff on Sunday to decide what stays here for next year’s mission and what goes back with us to Stone Aerospace.